Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easter Chicks & "Gutter" Baskets

Remember these cute little guys?



I bought them during our April Fools adventure.
Well, here's what I did with them...

First, I need to give you the back story about the other item I used in this project...
A few years ago I was rummaging around the historic Woodruff Place annual
community yard sale in Indianapolis, and found a huge bucket full of vintage
metal gutter baskets (by the way, the bucket is pretty cool too!).
I purchased the whole sha-bang for $10, a steal
since there are a ga-zillion of these little metal baskets! 
If you're ever in Indianapolis the first weekend in June,
 you must check it out, I always find cool junk there!


This is how the gutter baskets started out and I knew I
could turn them into something cute!


First I gave them all a good scrub, they were pretty filthy!
Then, using needle-nose plyers I curled down each stem.


Next, I hot glued a variety of ribbons, trim and vintage
buttons around the metal band of each basket.


I think they turned out cute even without the little chick!


I stuffed a little "nesting" material in the basket...
And last, but certainly not least, I added a little chick
 with some glued, silk hydrangea petals in her hair, feathers, fluff?


At the shop, I hung the little chick baskets on tree branches
(found at home) that are covered in lichen and moss.

I also cut out paper leaves from a vintage bird book
and glued them on the tree branches.


Sorry I couldn't get a better picture of the whole
display, but there's just not a good backdrop at the shop!


I also made some baskets (without chicks) and filled them with
 green crinkle paper and Easter candies.  
What a great Easter dinner favor they would make!

Happy Easter!
~Brooke~

1 comment: